Sunday, 20 January 2008

2007 Sep 20th - Wannabe Authors

Thursday, September 20, 2007


Hypocrisy
Category: MySpace

Myspace seems to be a dreamworld for a lot of people. They write allegorical tripe that some poor sad (mostly women I note) folk soak up and consider it "literate". The fact that someone knows a few big words seems to impress those who must have missed out on real literature, which I find very sad.

Worse still are those who comment on such tripe, reinventing their lives to fit in with the writer, agreeing with the virtues extolled despite not possessing them. Like I say it's a dreamworld for some. A chance to become someone totally different: for example someone who professes to love dogs, despite previously openly disliking "scruffy dogs that drop a lot of hair". Someone who suddenly finds being gay acceptable after years of making disparaging remarks of disgust whenever they are portrayed on television. You know the type of weak characters I mean. I feel sorry for them.

I've read some fantastic books this last week, being holed up avoiding infection (OK so I went to the cinema which is frowned upon, but it was worth it for the big belly laughs). All published authors with an uncanny ability to paint a real scene with such detail that you picture the entire scene and the lives of the characters. When I read a good book I get totally absorbed in it and immerse myself in the story and always feel a sense of disappointment when it's done. THAT is real literature.

Even the sour old Thomas Hardy grips me, despite his writings of doom and gloom. I love period fiction, particularly becuase, unlike some of the "tripe" I alluded to, back then people didn't feel the need to resort to graphic descriptions of anything (at least not in fictional publications that I read), instead being incredibly reserved and subtle. You have to admit, reading something intelligent and subtle is far more rewarding than anything full of graphic sexual babblings - save that for the top shelf I say!

Worse still are those who are so full of their own misguided self-importance that they feel the need to "instruct" their sad friends on any and all areas of life in a patronising manner. How conceited? How arrogant? Still if they're happy in their own little dream worlds perhaps we should be glad for them, after all ignorance is bliss isn't it?

4:21 - 1 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Umpalumpa

I remember being at school with a similar type of weak character. They constantly changed their likes in fashion, music, taste in men and did lots of general arse licking to fit in with certain people and so they would think they were the dogs bollocks!

How very sad.

Posted by Umpalumpa on Friday, September 21, 2007 at 12:00

No comments: